jasmin plante toxique

Poisonous outdoor plants

poisonous plants You read Poisonous outdoor plants 3 minutes Following Plants for a bright interior

Your garden is full of plant treasures of all kinds and you like the diversity of your green space. In general, you think you know most of the plants you have and take care of on a daily basis. However, you may be surprised to learn that certain plants or trees around you are actually toxic, and therefore dangerous, for you, your children or your pet.

For example, if you have a fig tree, you may not know it but it is poisonous. It is greatly appreciated for its delicious fruits and its beautiful, large leaves, but one must however be wary of its sap, which is phytophototoxic, and which can, among other things, cause serious second-degree burns. It is therefore not recommended for children to play under a fig tree to avoid any possible burns.

So a word of advice: find out about the varieties of plants you have at home!

What are the most common poisonous outdoor plants?

There are actually hundreds of poisonous outdoor plants. It would be impossible to list them all. Thus, we have therefore decided to stop on the most widespread. You will therefore be able to be informed of the dangers of these outdoor plants which, for some, are in fact poison at hand.

Among the climbing plants, the most common in gardens and which you should be wary of, especially for your children, there are Wisteria, Jasmine, Morning Glory, Clematis, Ivy or Honeysuckle.

As far as herbaceous plants are concerned, Primrose, Columbine, Anemone, Aconite, Foxglove, Carnation, Ranunculus, Datura and Castor Bean are all plants whose you will have to learn to be wary. Also watch out for the rhizomes of Cyclamen, Lily of the Valley and Iris, which are also very toxic.

Among the toxic shrubs and trees are the Oleander, therefore, the Daphne, the Lilac, the Hydrangea, the Holly, the Yew, the Euphorbia, the Boxwood, Azalea and Rhododendrons.

Look out for risky berries in your garden, such as Lily of the Valley, Ivy, Cotoneaster, or even Solanum. If you have children, prune these plants after flowering to avoid accidental poisoning.

Also note that healing with plants requires specific knowledge. So it can be dangerous to do it without a specialist because the confusion of garden plants is the first cause of poisoning. Indeed, a Comfrey leaf, for example, which is edible, is very similar to Foxglove, which is dangerous.

Also, you may not know it, but only certain parts of a plant can sometimes be dangerous. Rhubarb, for example, whose stem is edible, but the leaf is toxic. The latex of Euphorbia causes severe skin irritation, and Schefflera causes photosensitization.

As we already mentioned in our article Toxic houseplants, the Oleander is very toxic. Castor, Viburnum, Aconite Napel, Lily of the Valley, Anemone or Colchicum are all plants or flowers that appear harmless but can be dangerous.
Admire them and enjoy their beauty, but stay alert!

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.