plante interieur toxique ficus

Poisonous indoor plants

Plants for a bright interior You read Poisonous indoor plants 3 minutes Following Heat-loving plants

You may not know it, but some plants you have at home can be toxic. They are therefore dangerous for the health of your family members… or that of your pet! Zoom on the toxic indoor plants that you must know how to identify! Some indoor plants are toxic and can be harmful to the digestive system, or cause even more serious allergic reactions. Thus, it is therefore imperative to know the name of each of the plants in your interior, and their toxicity, for the safety of your children and your animals.
If you choose to have poisonous houseplants in your home, be sure to apply certain measures to avoid any accidents.

Risk of poisoning

It is important to know that poisoning by ingestion or simple contact with toxic plants represents 14% of poisonings. However, for poisoning to be dangerous, even fatal, the dose ingested must be substantial. Most often, the simple taste in the mouth of the toxic plant deters ingesting more. Also, the vomiting that ingestion causes normally eliminates a large part of the poison. But it can still make the victim sick for several hours. In the case of a young child, it is then preferable to consult a doctor.

What are the most common poisonous houseplants?

There are more than seven hundred plants (indoor or outdoor) containing toxic substances that are dangerous to health. Some poisonous houseplants release allergens, others are irritating or toxic only to the touch. The list of these poisonous houseplants is long.
Here we are going to highlight the most common poisonous houseplants that you may be likely to have in your home. Thus, you will be able to identify them easily and beware of them.

If ingested, Caladium can cause severe burns to the mouth, or choking.

Aloe Vera, whose virtues are constantly being touted for adults, especially for the skin, is in fact a houseplant that is toxic to children. Indeed, the latter risks significant skin reactions, in the event of direct contact. In addition, if ingested, Aloe Vera may have a laxative effect on children.

The oleander, such a beautiful and popular plant, is extremely toxic. It can cause diarrhea, irritation, breathing problems and drowsiness, and can even be fatal.

The Ivy, very common in our homes, is also dangerous. Indeed, ingesting its leaves or berries can cause serious respiratory problems.

Also beware of Ficus, Crotons, Yuccas, Mistletoe and Dieffenbachia which are also among the poisonous houseplants.

Sumptuous, if less well known, Gloriosa superba is without a doubt the most toxic and harmful indoor plant. It is often related to colchic, and is considered equally dangerous. Indeed, it can cause very dangerous intoxications.

Also be careful with flowering plants, which can also be poisonous. For example, if you like Lily, Clivia, Amaryllis or Anthurium, keep in mind that they contain poison. Handle them with care, wearing gloves, and place them in places that little hands (or paws!) can't reach.

You can also consult all our advice on precautions to take in our article: Toxic plants, the precautions to take!

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.